Monday, March 15, 2004
ASPIRATIONS REALIZED
In celebration of my 30th month in SGV-DDI.
"When I grow up, I want to be an astronaut." That was circa 1987, when I was in the third grade. Fourteen years and four schools later, clad in my navy blue toga, and supposedly all-grown-up, all I had to say was: "I have no idea what I want to be."
I graduated from university in March 2001, and after months of rest and weeks of preparation, I did what a typical fresh (er, naive?) graduate would do: I went to practically every reputable company in almost all the buildings along Ayala Avenue and dropped off my resume with a generic cover letter addressed to the Human Resources Department. Then I waited. And waited. I went to a couple of ho-hum interviews and took some tests, and waited again. But I knew that I was waiting in vain; I was waiting for something I didn’t even really want in the first place.
As a self-proclaimed Jill-of-all-trades, I didn't really know what I wanted to be, per se, but I knew what I didn't want. Based on experiences in student organizations in both high school and college, I had inklings of what I was looking for and what I enjoyed doing. And so, armed with my tattered journal, a pen, and a renewed determination for a more sensible jobhunt, I scribbled down some notes under an all-caps heading: WHAT DO I REALLY WANT? A fun place to work in. Not too much routine or boring work. A good mentor. Really professional, but friendly and down-to-earth colleagues. Opportunities to be creative on the job. Meet a lot of people. Continuous learning. A business or industry I believe in.
Two and a half years after I started working, I still consider myself very lucky to be with SGV-Development Dimensions International (DDI), an international human resources consulting firm. Amazingly enough, I got everything I asked for: Work can really be fun. With all our projects, no two days are ever alike. Our boss is a great mentor. My colleagues are experts in their field and they are my wonderful friends. My work allows my creative juices to flow. I meet and interact with a lot of people from various industries and groups. We promote over-learning. I'm in the business of sharing knowledge and best practices. I really got exactly what I asked for. On hindsight, I should have included two other items on my wish list: an office geographically closer to home (my daily field trips from Alabang to Pasig can get tiring) and a six figure monthly salary. (Hee-hee.)
Kidding aside, there are several factors that keep me a happy and enthusiastic Energizer-bunny at work. After almost three years, I want to share with you, in alphabetical order, my top ten reasons why I continue to enjoy my work.
Clients. We work with happy and loyal clients. Our 2003 client satisfaction survey says that 94% of them would work with us again and 92% would recommend us to others. Work is more enjoyable because it’s actually fun to work with our clients. We work with the country’s top multinational and Philippine companies, government institutions, and schools. My work allows me to meet and work with HR professionals in all levels and across various industries. More than the business they provide, our clients are true DDI champions and our friends as well. They tell us they want a work culture like ours (“You are all so happy… is there something in your coffee?!”), they play badminton with us, and they also set us up on blind dates.
Dress code. If there are no client meetings or conferences and workshops, every day can be a dress-down day: not formal but still respectable and comfortable. Goodbye stiff blazers, business suits, and stockings. Hello to colorful shawls, vintage pieces, purple cardigans, funky shoes, denim jackets, and cool accessories. The men wear pink and purple shirts, my boss wears ties with fish, and we can get away with wearing jeans on Fridays.
Employee Engagement. I own my work: I set my own goals, I manage my own time, I initiate my own projects, and I track my own progress. Of course I consult and need a go-signal from our VP. I also get inputs and feedback from my peers. But essentially, I don’t have anyone breathing down my back. Personal freedom allows for more creativity and decision-making, and ultimately, a stronger sense of engagement to the organization. This was confirmed by the results of a recent evaluation of employee engagement.
Friendships. The relationships I have with my officemates go beyond office hours. A chili crab dinner at the home of our boss. Partying in Boracay until 3 a.m. A spur-of-the moment Monday night dinner and movie. Visits to the hospital. Being there for a first birthday party or a wedding. Helping others cope after a break-up. An exchange of text messages after an exciting weekend or a blind date. Videoke marathons. Lunchtime adventures. Shopping sprees, sleepovers, badminton and bowling games, makeovers, laughing, and shared tears. It's about authentic friendships in and out of the workplace.
Lean and Mean. With only twenty employees and a pool of part-time trainers and consultants, we work as a close-knit team for all of our projects and events. As a flat organization, most of us report directly to our Vice President. No hierarchy. No complicated organizational charts. No bureaucracy. Our processes are simple. Our interactions are personal. We may be a small organization but we are complex and progressive. We may not have a corporate ladder to climb but we still soar to great heights.
Learning and Development. My boss said it very well: "We are in the business of selling knowledge." As such, we promote learning and personal professional development in every aspect of our work. In addition to the training programs we attend (both DDI and non-DDI courses), we encourage learning by taking on new projects and speaking engagements and by having formal and informal learning sessions. There will always be learning opportunities at DDI: a new article or book to read, a new training program to run, a new client project to implement, a new research study, a new HR trend. I know that I have gained a tremendous amount of learning at DDI… and yet there will always be more and more to learn.
Multiple roles. No two days are ever alike at DDI as I take on multiple roles. I take care of HR functions such as recruitment and employee relations. I provide support for our consultants, in both the business development and in the training groups. I contribute to our marketing efforts. I’m involved in ad hoc projects. I don’t have a typical day at work. There are days when I wear my HR, consulting, and marketing hats: I conduct an interview, plan a staff party, make a product presentation for a client, discuss a new training program, shop for toys, and design an ad—all within the same day. The multiple roles I play guarantee variety and a fast-paced workday.
Shiny Happy People. I remember the day when I went for my first interview at DDI. “Hmmm… this seems like a happy workplace,” I thought, as I heard peals of laughter coming from the offices. On my first day at work, I realized that everyone is genuinely happy at work. “Good morning,” greets Eddie, our messenger, as I walk in the front door. As I pour myself some coffee, Doyet asks, “How was your weekend?” Our meetings are punctuated by corny jokes from Bobby and shrieks of laughter from Ting. Once approached, everyone’s standard reply is always: “What can I do for you?” with a sincere smile. I get a healthy dose of hugs from Pia. We celebrate each others’ birthdays with merienda for all. We should all hold hands and sing the R.E.M. song that could have been written just for us.
Personal Meaning. My work is significant to my life. I believe in everything DDI stands for—continuous learning and development, teamwork, building new skills, positive interactions, improved performance, and the like—in both my professional and personal life. I can practice what I preach. If you listen in on one of our conversations over lunch, you would see how DDI is so incorporated into all of our personal lives. We discuss competency profiles of potential boyfriends and how impact, adaptability, communication, customer focus, and energy are criteria for success. Our blind dates are like Targeted Selection® interviews: “Can you tell me about a time when you were faced with a major change in your life? What did you do? What happened?” Watching a movie is not complete without some form of processing and a review of expectations (over coffee and dessert, of course). We can be Talkers and Walkers when it comes to poor or bad service in a new restaurant, hotel, or boutique. All of DDI’s Key Principles—(K.P.#1) maintain and enhance self-esteem and (K.P.#2) listen and respond with empathy, for example—makes perfect sense for interactions with the family, with my circle of friends, with everyone I meet. My work is significant because I believe in what I do.
Work-life balance. The only time my boss reprimanded me was for staying too late in the office. “I’ve noticed that you’ve been staying late the last few nights, Nikki,” he said sternly, “I don’t want it to be a habit.” Quality of Life for Associates is one of our values and I’m happy that I have the time to play badminton on Tuesday nights, catch up with long-lost friends over lunch, and make impromptu after-office plans for karaoke, wall-climbing, or an early evening movie. Our flexitime allows us to manage our own schedules. I prefer working from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. so I get my eight hours of sleep; Pia chooses to work from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. so she can spend time with her kids. We won’t get memos because we were 2 minutes late to work or because we spent an extra 20 minutes for lunch. Our weekends are sacred and work-free. My boss continues to remind me that I need to learn how to shut down after 6 p.m., just like my computer does. It’s great that we are encouraged to do more and be more outside of the office. In my boss’ own words: “Get a life.”
This top-ten list is a realization of what I thought was a juvenile wish list: A fun place to work in. Not too much routine or boring work. A good mentor. Really professional, but friendly and down-to-earth colleagues. Opportunities to be creative on the job. Meet a lot of people. Continuous learning. A business or industry I believe in. It pays to know what you really want. Aspirations can really turn into realizations.
I’m so glad I wrote my wish list. I’m even happier I wrote this top-ten list. It’s my small way of saying a big thank you to my wonderful DDI family for all the experiences, learning, and adventures. It’s also a good-luck-message for all the fresh graduates: take some time to write your aspirations down as you go on your jobhunt. This list is also my way of staying sane as I face two (soon-to-be three) growing piles on my desk, fast-approaching deadlines, difficult suppliers, extra-urgent requests, and overwhelming projects in the midst of change and uncertainty in the months to come. I want to focus on what makes DDI and my work unique, dynamic, and motivating. I want to remember what I was looking for, what I found at DDI, and what keeps me here. I want to keep in mind all of the reasons why I can say I really love my work.
I’m so glad I didn’t end up to be an astronaut. I’m glad I decided to be what I wanted to be.
